Thursday, November 7, 2019

My Folks Grew Up In the 80s by Beck and Robin Feiner

My Folks Grew Up In the 80s by Beck and Robin Feiner
September 2019 Harper Collins

Blurb:
Travel back in time to the era no one has ever forgotten - the '80s - because those outfits were so rad you had to wear shades.

Welcome to the 1980s - a time when crimped hair and perms were cool, kids listened to cassette tapes, thought dancing on your head was the ultimate, and synth-pop ruled the school. 

My Folks Grew Up in the '80s is a stroll down memory lane for the kids who grew up then, and a hilarious chance to share the decade's outright weirdness with a whole new generation.

My folks may not have grown up in the 80s, but I certainly did. Well I was a teenager in the 80s. I am a self confessed 80s tragic.  To be honest as far as music and movies go, all of my favourites pretty much all came out in the 80s.

This book is a real walk down memory lane...complete with fluro colour palette.  

So many memories...
  • Old school 'jaffle' toasted sandwich maker, I remember the tomato used to get so hot in those things, that you would get third degree burns when it dripped on your chin. (I actually bought one again quite recemtly!)
  • Plenty of posters on my wall..although I was more Bon Jovi  and Bananarama than Kylie and Devo.
  • Leg warmers and aerobics with Jane Fonda
  • Trips to the video shop to borrow VHS movies, that had been watched so many time the quality was less than perfect.
  • Having my finger on the record button on Sunday nights listening to the Top 40 radio show, ready to record my favourite songs...onto a cassette tape
  • ...and hairspray...so much hairspray...I get flashbacks to New Wave Discos, every time I smell TAFT hairspray.

For 24 hours only, you can head over to my Instagram page and see the slightly blurry 80s photo version of the real What's Rebecca Reading in my stories!

Adults will smile fondly when reading this one, and kids will ask 'what's that?' and 'really?', and the answer will be 'Yes, really"

On a more serious note, it fits in really well with the Australian Curriculum,

HASS Year 1 - 
How has family life changed or remained the same over time
How can we show that the present is different from or similar to the past?
HASS Year 2
How have changes in technology shaped our daily life?





No comments:

Post a Comment