Tuesday, October 8, 2013

How to Love by Katie Cotugno

As bizarre as it may sound, I have a fondness for ‘teenage pregnancy’ novels. In fact I remember many years ago having a conversation with a librarian where we shared our love of this genre of fiction and the librarian in question (you know who you are, I think you might actually read this!), stopped short and said in a horrified whisper ‘ You didn’t actually HAVE a teenage pregnancy did you?’ The answer is no, I didn’t have a teenage pregnancy, for some reason I just like reading about them!


So, that little insight into my life leads me to today’s book, which is of course about a teenage pregnancy. The story moves from present day where Reena is 18 and a mother to nearly three year old Hannah, and three years previous to when she and Sawyer (Hannah’s father) get together. Sawyer was a typical bad boy, and he moved away before Reena even had a chance to tell him she was pregnant, but now he’s back, and just when she thought she had it all figured out, Reena realises…she doesn’t.

I loved the characters in this book and I loved the fact that I could really feel the intensity of first love when I read it. It made me think about my first love and the fact that when we are young, we tend to only think with our hearts. As we get older we use our heads a lot more, and our heads will most often override our hearts, being all sensible and practical. This is a story that makes you want to go out and think with your heart, take risks and not worry about the reasons things might NOT work out, but focus on the reasons it might.

No comments:

Post a Comment