Friday, February 15, 2013

A new kind of 'Choose Your Own' series

Worst Case Scenario: Deadly Seas by Dave Borgenicht

This is actually the fourth book in the Worst Case Scenario Ultimate Adventure series, but I haven't seen any of the others. The catch phrase at the bottom of the book (You Decide How to Survive!) gives a good indication about what kind of book this might be, it is a new spin on the old Choose Your Own Adventure.

There are a few ways that this book is quite different form the Choose Your Own books that I remember:

1. This book is a hardback and it's style is very similar to the Dangerous Book For Boys/Girls.


2. There is a section at the back of the book (which you are encouraged to read first) that outlines real life survival tips that you might need to know in order to survive your journey, which in this case is a journey to sail around the world.

3. There are comic book style illustrations throughout the book as well as traditional text.

I really liked this book, but I have to admit that the first time I read it, I only made it to the Great Barrier Reef (not very far into the book at all!), but the beauty is, that I could go back and have another go, and eventually I made it around the world in one piece!  The secret really is in reading the survival tips, one wrong choice and you could end up on your way home...or worse!  There are 24 endings in this book, but only one gets you to the end.  

This book will be a great choice for any reluctant or struggling reader, when they realise that despite its size (it's 208 pages), they don't actually have to read every page to have read the story. 


1 comment:

  1. I haven't come across this series before either...will have to look into it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete