Monday, February 24, 2014

Little Red Hood by Marjolaine Leray


Every now and then a book comes along where I think…’I’m not sure who will buy this?’ This is one of those books.
What I was expecting was a version of Little Red Riding Hood, and technically that is what this is….if Little Red Riding Hood was a psychopath.

There are few words in this book, and the illustrations and font are very simple and child like. I will give you my brief synopsis…stop reading if you don’t want me to spoil the ending.



Big Bad Wolf meets Little Red Riding Hood.
They go through the ‘What Big ears/eyes/teeth’ bit
And just when he is going to eat her up, Red Riding Hood says…no
No?
Little Red tells the wolf he has stinky breath and offers him a sweet, which he takes.
Then there is a clutching of throat and collapsing on the ground…the wolf is dead…
Little Red’s response to this….fool!

So…did the wolf get what he deserved? Yes. But is it normal for Little Red Riding Hood to be so smug?  I'll leave that for you to decide.

The Times says ‘It’s totally brilliant.’, and I have sold copies, more retail customers than schools I might say, but if you have a fondness for slightly wicked picture books, then you should try ro get your hands on one of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment